H&S Mini MAX custom tuning???

I have a 2010 F350 with a 6.4l (deleted). I am running an H&S mini max tuner. I'm have ruff shifting transmission through 5 gear, I have taken truck to two different transmission shops and both say transmission is mechanically sound and recommended I investigate tuning. Any help out there? I have also replaced the EPC and Direct solenoids, filter and standard trans fluid change associated with dropping the solenoid housing, Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated...

Comments

• What tune group are you running? Easy, Mild, or HD300? The easy has no trans tuning available. So from reading your post it doesn't sound like your running that. Have you tried any of the different shift schedules available with the Mild & HD300? You have the S1L, M, & H as well as the S2L, M, & H. The S1 locks the converter in 4th & 5th and the S2 only in 5th. Have you tried just reloading the tuner and retuning the trans then doing a trans relearn? Just trying to come up with ideas.

I ran HD300 with S1M for 10 years and never had rough shifting. Went thru 5 transmissions though. The stock crapped out at about 53,000 and then got 4 POS ATS Diesel transmissions that crapped in about 10,000 miles. Went with a Suncoast Super Comp and haven't been happier. I do have trac bars though. H&S recommended you get them if you have a 3" lift or bigger. I got them due to axle wrap not the lift part but they are worth it.
  • I have ran all power programs , and tried all shift schedules with similar shift issues. I have done the relearn as directed in the manual that came with the programmer. I have sat on I-24 outside Fort Campbell, KY and immediately conducted the 3 trials 25%, 50% and full throttle, same result. Wired and hard shifts. Truck is not lifted, but I am running the BF Goodrich TA tires stock equivalent (275/70R/18). Should be an issue.. Tranny shop also cleared the adaptive learning for a fresh start same issues...
  • Man that’s really strange. I have never heard any reports of hard shifting on 6.4s. Folks with 6.7s always complained about rough shifting. Do you still have your EGR valve intact on the truck? If so you could load the easy tuning and try that. It doesn’t tune the trans.

Oh you know what? Try driving it with the tow haul engaged. See how it shifts. H&S does not change the tow haul strategies with their tuning. It uses the stock ones. If it still shifts tough with the tow haul it’s not the tuning. Or try the easy tuning and see if that changes the behavior your seeing. Before loading the easy tuning you would need to return the truck to OEM stock so it removes the current trans tuning and puts it back to stock. Then load the easy tuning. This is only if your EGR valve is still in tact and on the truck.
  • Still shifts rough in tow/haul... I pul a 35ft toy hauler (10k-14k)...
  • Been through the troubleshooting,
  • EGR is still intact, explain the relationship to rough/hard shifts under load or not?

(Refined) I have a 2010 F350 with a 6.4l (deleted). I am running an H&S mini max tuner. I'm having ruff/hard shifting transmission through 5 gear without load and with load, I have taken truck to two different transmission shops and both say transmission is mechanically sound and recommended I investigate tuning (H&S). Any help out there? I have also replaced the EPC and Direct solenoids, filter and standard trans fluid change associated with dropping the solenoid housing, Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated...
  • If it shifts rough in tow/haul it's not the tuning. H&S tuning does not change the strategies on the tow/haul. It uses the factory ones. You mentioned that you have been through all of the troubleshooting...... So have you returned the truck to OEM stock then loaded just the easy tunes? As I mentioned above, the easy tunes do not tune the transmission. If it still does it with the easy tuning (no transmission tuning) would you agree it is not the tuning that is causing the rough shifts?

Have you changed the TCM to see if that makes a difference?
  • Just to add something, my TCM was changed out while installing one of the ATS transmissions since there were issues with it locking up in 5th. It would lock, unlock, lock, unlock continuously. ATS said it was the tuning. I used the tow haul and had the same problem. Proved to them it wasn't the tuning. Then they blamed the TCM. Changed that and same issue. Finally ATS told the shop to just have me drive it. I left the shop and got about 40 miles and a bang, wrench light came on, wouldn't shift out of 4th gear and top speed of 45MPH at about 3000 RPM. Limped it back to the shop and they pulled the codes. Another transmission and TC sent. Just saying that everyone points to tuning. I'm telling you the 6.4 has never had reports of rough shifting. You would see that all over the internet if H&S tuning caused that. You will find many instances of reports on the 6.7's though.
  • It still shifts hard in tow mode. I have returned to stock and reprogrammed the easy tune, according to the manual it defaults to the easy shift schedule that is selectable in the all the performance tunes. Haven't changed TCM (transmission control module???)

Not convinced that it's not the tuner. When I load the gearbox z delete shifting is fine but absent the power that the mini max provides...
  • Yes TCM is transmission control module. I think mine new was $375 if I remember correctly. Not a big ticket item but a cost None the less. Then it typically has to be flashed to your truck. I have heard some people say they just swapped one in and it worked. Not sure how though.

Other than trying that I’m running out of ideas. If it still did it on the easy tune.......